David Keith Lynch, popularly known as David Lynch is an American filmmaker, painter, visual artist, musician, and writer. Lynch is best known for her directorial work in films, The Elephant Man, Blue Velvet, and Mulholland Drive. On television, he is known for creating Twin Peaks series. For his directorial works, he was awarded an Academy Honorary Award in 2019. He has received three Academy Award nominations for Best Director. In addition, he is also the recipient of several decorated honors as well. He is also involved in music, arts, and books.
You may also like: Wanda Nara: Bio, Family, Career, Net Worth, Husband
Quick Facts About David Lynch
|Celebrated Name||David Lynch|
|Birth Name||David Keith Lynch|
|Place Of Birth||Missoula, Montana|
|Birth Nation||United States|
|Famous For||Her directorial work in films, The Elephant Man, Blue Velvet, and Mulholland Drive|
|Father||Donald Walton Lynch|
|Mother||Edwina Sunny Lynch|
|Ethnicity||White (European ancestors)|
|Religion||Grew Up Presbyterian|
|High School||Hammond High School|
|College / University||Corcoran School of the Arts and Design, School of the Museum of Fine Arts, Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts|
|Debut Television Show/Series||Twin Peaks|
|Awards||Honorary Academy Award in 2019|
|Wife||Peggy Lentz (1967-1974), Mary Fish (1977-1987), Mary Sweeney (2006-2006), Emily Stofle (2006-)|
|Son||Austin Jack Lynch, Riley Sweeney Lynch|
|Daughter||Jennifer Lynch, Lula Boginia Lynch|
|Residence||Los Angeles, California|
|Height||5 ft 10 inches|
|Source of Wealth||Filmmaking|
|Net Worth||$70 million|
You may also like: Who was Tom Petty? Things To Know About Tom
What is David Lynch famous for?
- David Lynch is famous for Academy Award-winning director.
- In addition, he is famous for directorial work in films, The Elephant Man, Blue Velvet, and Mulholland Drive.
You may also like: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Michael Keaton
Where does David Lynch hail from? Family, Early Life, & Education
David Lynch was born on 20 January 1946 as David Keith Lynch in Missoula, Montana in the United States. Moreover, he holds an American nationality. Hence, David was born to his father, Donald Walton Lynch, and his mother, Edwina “Sunny” Lynch. In addition, he has two siblings, a brother, John, and a sister, Martha. He has Scottish, Irish, English ancestry on his father’s side and Finnish and German ancestry on his mother’s side. His family often moved around according to where the USDA assigned his father. He was raised Presbyterian. He belongs to white ethnicity and his zodiac sign is Aquarius.
Regarding his educational background, he attended Hammond High School. He was interested in painting and drawing from an early age. Thus, he attended Corcoran School of the Arts and Design and later transferred to the School of the Museum of Fine Arts. He had plans of pursuing painting as a career path when living in Virginia, where his friend’s father was a professional painter. However, he left his studies and traveled to Europe to meet Austrian expressionist painter Oskar Kokoschka in Salzburg. He returned to the United States after failing to meet Kokoschka. He enrolled at the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts.
You may also like: Rachel Levine: Bio, Family, Career, Husband, & More
David Lynch stands at a height of 1.78 m i.e. 5 feet and 10 inches tall. He has a bodyweight of around 172 lbs i.e. 78 kg. He has an average body build. His eye color is blue and his hair color is gray. His sexual orientation is straight.
You may also like: Colin Powell: Bio, Death, Family, Career, Net Worth
David Lynch is one of the most popular filmmakers in Hollywood. The majoring of his income comes from his filmmaking career. He has written, produced, and directed numerous hit projects either movies or television series. An Academy Award-winning director, Lynch also occasionally appears in several of his works. Besides filmmaking, he is into music and arts. At present, his net worth is estimated at around $70 million.
You may also like: Who are Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s, Six Kids?
Personal Life & Relationship
David Lynch married Peggy Lentz in 1967. They had a daughter, Jennifer Lynch, born in 1968. They divorced in 1974. He then married Mary Fish in 1977. They had a son, Austin Jack Lynch, born in 1982. They divorced in 1987. He then had a relationship with Mary Sweeney, with whom he shared a son, Riley Sweeney Lynch. They married and divorced in 2006. He married Emily Stofle in 2009. They share a child, Lula Boginia Lynch, born in 2012.
He lives with his family in Los Angeles, California.
You may also like: Who was Chris Ayres? Bio, Death, Family, Career
David Lynch was serious about pursuing painting as a profession. He attended several art schools. To support his family, he took a printing engravings job. David then started making short films in the late 1960s. Moreover, he made his first short film, Six Men Getting Sick (Six Times) in 1967. Hence, he later created several short movies before moving to Los Angeles in 1971. Likewise, David began studying filmmaking at the AFI Conservatory. He made his first feature-length film, Eraserhead which became a success on the midnight movie circuit. It was called one of the most important midnight movies of the 1970s. He directed the film, The Elephant Man which was based on the true story of Joseph Merrick.
The film became a huge success critically and commercially and earned eight Academy Award nominations including Best Director and Best Adapted Screenplay. He was also nominated for BAFTA Award and Golden Globe Awards for The Elephant Man. He directed the 1984 science fiction film, Dune and the 1986 mystery thriller film, Blue Velvet. Blue Velvet earned him his second Academy Award nomination for Best Director.
More About Career
Similarly, he created his own television series, Twin Peaks that ran for two seasons from 1990 to 1991. He made the prequel Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me in 1992. As a result, David earned numerous Primetime Emmy Award nominations for his work in Twin Peaks and its sequels.
His other popular film works are Wild at Heart, The Straight Story, Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive, and Inland Empire among others. He was once again nominated for Academy Award for Best Director for Mulholland Drive in 2001. David co-wrote, directed, and starred in the revival of Twin Peaks in 2017. He made guest appearances on the Family Guy spin-off The Cleveland Show. He wrote, directed, and edited the 16-minute promotional film for Dior in 2010.
Lynch is also known for his music endeavors mostly related to his films. He has produced, written, and designed several kinds of music. David has released three studio albums to date: BlueBOB (2001), Crazy Clown Time (2011), and The Big Dream (2013). Likewise, he authored a short book, Catching the Big Fish: Meditation, Consciousness, and Creativity in 2006. Furthermore, David published a biography-memoir hybrid, Room to Dream in 2018. Hence, he was awarded an Honorary Academy Award in 2019. As well, David won two Cesar Award for Best Foreign Film.
In addition, he won the Palme d’Or at the Cannes Film Festival. He won a Golden Lion award for lifetime achievement at the Venice Film Festival. Lynch designed his personal website, a site exclusive to paying members, where he posts short videos and his absurdist series Dumbland, plus interviews and other items. David is reportedly working on a new project for Netflix.
You may also like: Bang Chan: Bio, Family, Career, Net Worth, Girlfriend
Did You Know? Facts About David Lynch
- David Lynch’s father was a research scientist who worked for the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
- His mother was an English language tutor.
- Two of Lynch’s maternal great-grandparents were Finnish-Swedish immigrants who arrived in the U.S. during the 19th century.
- He reached the highest rank of Eagle Scout and was present with other Boy Scouts outside the White House at the inauguration of President John F. Kennedy.
- David was friends with musician Peter Wolf at the School of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston.
- Besides, he often designs furniture in his films.
- AllMovie called him “the Renaissance man of modern American filmmaking”.
- Film critic Pauline Kael labeled him as “the first popular surrealist”.
- Moreover, he advocated the use of Transcendental Meditations in bringing peace to the world.
- Furthermore, he founded the David Lynch Foundation in 2005 mainly to fund the teaching of Transcendental Meditation in schools.
- Also, he did weather reports on his now-defunct website in the early 2000s. He later returned to doing weather reports in the 2020s.
- Likewise, his store for merchandise released a set of face masks in July 2020 with Lynch’s art on them for the COVID-19 pandemic.
- In addition, he frequently works with Angelo Badalamenti to compose music for his productions.
- Kayne Griffin Corcoran exhibits Lynch’s paintings, drawings, and photography with the gallery since 2011.
- David said that he is “not a political person” and that he knows little about politics.
- Furthermore, he endorsed the center-left Natural Law Party in the 2000 presidential election.
- Besides, he endorsed Bernie Sanders in the 2016 US presidential elections.
- Moreover, he signed a petition in support of film director Roman Polanski in 2009 calling for his release after Polanski was arrested in Switzerland in relation to his 1977 charge for drugging and raping a 13-year-old girl.
- Hence, he supports the BLM Movement.
- Besides, he is a coffee drinker and has his own line of special organic blends “David Lynch Signature Cup”.
You may also like: Rumeysa Gelgi: The World’s Tallest Woman’s Biography