|Celebrated Name||Joni Mitchell|
|Birth Name||Roberta Joan Anderson|
|Place Of Birth||Fort Macleod, Alberta, Canada|
|Parents||Myrtle Marguerite (mother) and William Andrew Anderson (father)|
|College / University||Alberta College|
|Spouse||Larry Klein (m. 1982-994), Chuck Mitchell (m. 1965-1967)|
|Source of Wealth||Singer-songwriter and painter career|
|Net Worth||$100 million|
|Salary||$9.9 million per year|
|Height||5 ft 6 in|
|Eye Color||Dark brown|
|Links||Instagram Wikipedia Youtube|
Joni Mitchell Bows New Video For 1971 Song
Some 50 years after its debut, Joni Mitchell’s melancholy song “River” finally has its own video. “River” first appeared on Mitchell’s 1971 album, “Blue”. “River expresses regret at the end of a relationship… but it’s also about being lonely at Christmas time,” Mitchell says in a statement at the end of the animated work. It was posted Thursday on her YouTube channel. “A Christmas song for people who are lonely at Christmas! We need a song like that.”
What is Joni Mitchell Nationality? Know About Her Real Name, Ethnicity and Family
Joni Mitchell was born on 7th November 1943 with the real name of Roberta Joan Anderson in Fort Macleod, Alberta, Canada. She is of Canadian nationality and she belongs to mixed ethnicity as she has Scottish and Irish ancestry on her mother’s side and Norwegian as well as part Sami ancestry on her father’s side. Similarly, her religious belief is in the Christian religion and her race is white. Jone’s present age is 78 which she celebrated recently in 2021 and as per her birth date, her star sign is Scorpio. She is the daughter of Myrtle Marguerite (mother) and William Andrew Anderson (father). Her mother was a teacher, while her father was a Royal Canadian Air Force flight lieutenant who instructed new pilots at RCAF Station Fort Macleod.
Talking about Joni’s education, she graduated high school at Aden Bowman Collegiate in Saskatoon, Mitchell took art classes at the Saskatoon Technical Collegiate with abstract expressionist painter Henry Bonli and left home to attend the Alberta College of Art in Calgary for the 1963-1964 school year. Later, she dropped out of school after a year at age 20, a decision that greatly displeased her parents, who could remember the Great Depression and valued education highly.
What does Joni Mitchell do for a living?
- Joni Mitchell kicks off her career singing with her friends at bonfires around Waskesiu Lake, northwest of Prince Albert, Saskatchewan whereas her first paid performance was on 31st October 1962, at a Saskatoon club that featured folk and jazz performers.
- Then she wrote her first song, “Day After Day” but due to the lack of $200 which was needed for musicians’ union fees, she performed at a few gigs at the Half Beat and the Village Corner in Toronto’s Yorkville neighborhood.
- She performed in the 1960s and recorded eventually for the 1971 album “Blue” after which she started playing and composing songs in alternative guitar tunings taught to her by a fellow musician, Eric Andersen, in Detroit.
- As well, Oscar Brand featured her several times on his CBC television program “Let’s Sing Out” in 1965 and 1966 as well as she was signed to the Warners-affiliated Reprise label by talent scout Andy Wickham.
- Crosby convinced Reprise to let Joni record a solo acoustic album without the folk-rock overdubs in vogue at that time, and his clout earned him a producer’s credit in March 1968, when Reprise released her debut album, known either as “Joni Mitchell” or “Song to a Seagull”.
- Later Mitchell’s second LP, “Clouds” was released in April 1969, and “Clouds” produced her first Grammy Award for Best Folk Performance in March 1970. The following month, Reprise released her third album, “Ladies of the Canyon”.
- On the April 1971 release of James Taylor’s “Mud Slide Slim and the Blue Horizon” album, Joni is credited with backup vocals on the track “You’ve Got a Friend”.
- The songs she wrote during the months she took off for travel and life experience appeared on her next album, “Blue”, released in June 1971.
- She presented new songs on a tour that appeared on her next album, her fifth, “For the Roses” as well as her sixth studio album “Court and Spark” which was released in January 1974.
- Also, she went into the studio in early 1975 to record acoustic demos of some songs that she had written since the “Court and Spark” tour. The new song cycle was released in November 1975 as “The Hissing of Summer Lawns”.
- Subsequently, she drove back to California alone and composed several songs during her journey which featured on her next album, 1976’s “Hejira”.
- Mitchell began work on new recordings that became her first double studio album in mid-1977. “Don Juan’s Reckless Daughter” was released in December of the following year.
- In October 1985, she launched her 12th studio album “Dog Eat Dog” and continued experimenting with synthesizers, drum machines, and sequencers for the recordings of her next album, 1988’s “Chalk Mark in a Rain Storm”.
- Mitchell agreed to release the greatest “Hits” collection in 1996 as Reprise also agreed to release a second album, called “Misses”, that would include some of the lesser-known songs from her career.
- Later Joni released her final set of “original” new work before nearly a decade of other pursuits, 1998’s “Taming the Tiger”.
- Likewise, she has launched several songs or albums in her career such as “Travelogue”, “The Beginning of Survival” (2004), “Dreamland” (2004), “Songs of a Prairie Girl” (2005), “Shine”, and many others.
- Joni was among hundreds of artists to have master tape recordings destroyed in the 2008 Universal fire.
- Although she said that she would no longer tour or give concerts, Joni made occasional public appearances to speak on environmental issues.
- Since 2011, she said she focuses mainly on her visual art, which she does not sell and displays only on rare occasions.
- Mitchell released an “8-LP vinyl reissue of Love Has Many Faces: A Quartet, A Ballet, Waiting to Be Danced” on 2nd November 2018.
- It was announced in September 2020 that Joni and Rhino Records had created the Joni Mitchell Archives as the project’s first release, a five-disc collection titled “Joni Mitchell Archives – Vol. 1: The Early Years (1963-1967)”, followed on 30th October 2020.
- On the same day, she released “Early Joni – 1963” and “Live at Canterbury House – 1967” as standalone vinyl releases.
- Furthermore, A special remastered collection of her first four albums (“Song to a Seagull”, “Clouds”, “Ladies of the Canyon” and “Blue”) was released on 2nd July 2021 as “The Reprise Albums” (1968-1971). The collection is the first to feature a new mix of her 1968 debut album, overseen by Mitchell herself.
Awards and Achievements
- ASCAP Pop Awards for her work in “Big Yellow Taxi”
- She received an honorary doctorate in music from McGill University in 2004.
- She has received nine Grammy Awards during her career.
- In 1995, Mitchell received Billboard’s Century Award.
- Kennedy Center Honor for a lifetime of achievement in the performing arts at the Medallion Ceremony
- Les Paul Award, becoming the first woman to do so. She will be honored as MusiCares Person of the Year in 2022.
Joni Mitchell Husband: Who is she married to?
Joni Mitchell is a married woman. She was pregnant by her Calgary ex-boyfriend Brad MacMath in late 1964. In February 1965, she gave birth to a baby girl named Kelly Dale Anderson. Since the girl’s father refused to marry her, she had to give up the baby for adoption. After many years, Joni was eventually reunited with her biological daughter. She married Chuck Mitchell in 1965 however the couple divorced after just two years. She later married Larry Klein in 1982. He was a bassist who worked with her on her albums “Wild Things Run Fast” as well as “Turbulent Indigo”. They divorced in 1994. Reflecting on Joni’s sexual orientation, she is straight.
How much is Joni Mitchell Net Worth?
Joni Mitchell is a talented woman who has a net worth of $100 million as of 2021. Joni also earns a handsome amount of salary which is around $9.9 million per year. She owes her fortune to smart stock investments, substantial property holdings, lucrative endorsement deals with CoverGirl cosmetics from where Joni gains a considerable amount of money. In addition, her major source of income is from her singer-songwriter and painter career.
What is the Height of Joni Mitchell?
Joni Mitchell stands at an ideal height of 5 ft 6 in with a balanced body weight of 63 kg. She has good-looking blonde hair and dark brown eyes color. Moreover, her body build type is slim. Joni suffers from Morgellons syndrome as well as a brain aneurysm.