Lupita Amondi Nyong’o, famously recognised as Lupita Nyong’o is a Kenyan and Mexican actress who is well appreciated for being the daughter of Kenyan politician Peter Anyang’ Nyong’o. Therefore, she made her film debut in the powerful 2013 film “12 Years a Slave”, for which she won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actress. Moreover, she also portrayed the character Maz Kanata in “Star Wars” and Nakia in Marvel’s “Black Panther”.
Similarly, in 2008, Lupita appeared in a short film titled “East River” for her role as ‘F’ and starred in MTV”s soap opera “Shuga” for her role as Ayira in 2009. Besides, she also delivered brilliant performances on “Broadway,” in the play “Eclipsed,” which was highly praised by critics.
Furthermore, she directed a music video and appeared in box-office hits such as “Star Wars: The Force Awakens,” “The Jungle Book,” and the horror movie “Us.” Moreover, Nyong’o announced in February 2021 that she will produce an animated musical based on her number-one best-selling children’s book, “Sulwe” (2019), for Netflix.
You may also like: Patricia Navidad: Bio, Family, Career, Net Worth, & More
Quick Facts About Lupita Nyong’o
|Celebrated Name||Lupita Nyong’o|
|Birth Name||Lupita Amondi Nyong’o|
|Place Of Birth||Mexico City, Mexican|
|Father||Peter Anyang’s Nyong’o|
|School||Rusinga International School|
|Source of Wealth||Acting Career|
|Net Worth||$10 million|
|Height||5 ft 5 inches|
|Eye Color||Dark brown|
|Body Measurement||34-24-37 in or 86-61-94 cm|
You may also like: Who was Huey Ha? Bio, Family, Death, Career, & More
What is Lupita Nyong’o famous for?
- Lupita Nyong’o is famous for being a Kenyan and Mexican actress.
- In addition, she is famous for being the daughter of Kenyan politician Peter Anyang’ Nyong’o.
You may also like: Kathryn Greiner: Bio, Family, Net Worth, Career
Where does Lupita Nyong’o hail from? Family, Early Life, & Education
Lupita Nyong’o was born on 1st March 1983 in Mexico City, Mexico. She was born with the real name of Lupita Amondi Nyong’o in a Christian religious family. Moreover, she is of Mexican nationality and she belongs to Luo ethnicity. Furthermore, she falls under the sun sign of Pisces according to the astrologers. Thus, her race is black.
Her father, Peter Anyang’ Nyong’o is a Kenyan politician who also served as a professor at the University of Nairobi in the past whereas her mother, Dorothy Nyong’o is a Managing Director at Africa Cancer Foundation. In addition, she has five siblings. The family had left Kenya in 1980 for a period because of political repression and unrest; Peter’s brother, Charles Nyong’o, disappeared after he was thrown off a ferry in 1980.
Regarding Lupita’s education, she attended Rusinga International School in Kenya and acted in school plays. She later attended St. Mary’s School in Nairobi, where she received an IB Diploma in 2001. She went to the United States for college, graduating from Hampshire College with a degree in film and theatre studies.
You may also like: Keemstar: Bio, Family, Career, Net Worth, Wife
Lupita Nyong’o is 5 ft 5 in or 165 cm tall and her body weighs around 51 kg or 112.5 pounds. She has black hair and dark brown eyes colour. She dresses up showing off her curvy figure and striking pair of legs and feet wearing either open tight-up skirt. Lupita has a slim body build with 34-24-37 in or 86-61-94 cm of body measurement.
You may also like: Who is Shay (Vanessa Lesnicki)? Biography & Much More
Lupita Nyong’o is a versatile lady who has a net worth of $10 million dollars as of now whereas she also earns a fine amount of salary which is also in thousands of dollars per year. She has advertised for Miu Miu Spring / Summer 2014 collection and she has also endorsed Lancome in April 2014.
In September 2019, Nyong’o became an ambassador for Michael Kors’ “Watch Hunger Stop” campaign. Together with her brand endorsements, her combined earnings are rated at $75 million. Nyong’o is also one of the highest-paid Kenyan actresses. In addition, her major source of income is from her acting career.
You may also like: 5 Things to know about Annie Live! Star Celina Smith
Personal Life & Relationship
Lupita Nyong’o is an unmarried lady. The actress is currently focusing on her career as she has been gaining fame and a major title. She is currently single. Lupita would update her about her relationship on her social media to her fans who are eagerly waiting to know whom would the beautiful lady choose as her better half. Talking about her sexual orientation, she is straight.
You may also like: Adele Shares Exactly How She Lost 100 Pounds
Professional Life & Career Highlights
Lupita Nyong’o started her acting career working as part of the production crew for several films, involving Fernando Meirelles’s “The Constant Gardener” (2005), Mira Nair’s “The Namesake” (2006), and Salvatore Stabile’s “Where God Left His Shoes” (2007). In addition, she appeared in the short film “East River” in 2008 and returned to Kenya that same year and appeared in the Kenyan television series “Shuga”.
Moreover, she wrote, directed, and produced the documentary “In My Genes” in 2009 and enrolled in a master’s degree program in acting at the Yale School of Drama. Then she landed her breakthrough role when she was cast in Steve McQueen’s historical drama “12 Years a Slave” (2013). She was also seen in “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” (2015) as Force-sensitive space pirate Maz Kanata. In 2015, she returned to stage with a starring role as an unnamed girl in the play “Eclipsed” which became The Public Theater’s fastest-selling new production in recent history.
More About Career
As well, she co-starred in Jon Favreau’s “The Jungle Book” (2016) as well as she co-starred in Mira Nair’s “Queen of Katwe” (2016). She reprised her role as Maz Kanata in Rian Johnson’s “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” (2017), and also in the animated series “Star Wars Forces of Destiny”. Lupita appeared as spy Nakia in Ryan Coogler’s superhero film “Black Panther” (2018) and starred as a kindergarten teacher dealing with a zombie apocalypse in the comedy horror film “Little Monsters” (2019). The 2019 South by Southwest marked the premiere of her next release, Jordan Peele’s psychological horror film “Us”.
Also, she narrated the Discovery Channel documentary series “Serengeti” in 2019 and hosted Channel 4’s documentary “Warrior Women” with “Lupita Nyong’o”. She reprised her role as Maz Kanata for the third time in “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker”, which marked the final instalment of the “Star Wars” sequel trilogy. In addition, she was featured in Beyonce’s musical film “Black Is King”, which premiered on Disney+ in July 2020. Furthermore, she has also partnered with Nairobi-based media and tech startup Kukua in support of YouTube Originals’ STEM-themed, “Super Sema” (2021).
Similarly, she appeared in Saheem Ali’s bilingual radio play adaptation of “Romeo & Juliet”, titled “Romeo y Julieta” (2021), and also provided narration for Apple TV+’s documentary, “Who Are You, Charlie Brown?” (2021). Besides, Lupita made her writing debut with a book titled “Sulwe” (2019) which became a number-one “New York Times Best-Seller”. The Africa Center announced Nyong’o as a member of its board of trustees in 2020. She was cited as one of 2019’s Top 100 most influential Africans by New African magazine. Nyong’o made her first appearance on “British Vogue”‘s February ’20 cover. In March 2020, she also starred on Africa’s “50 Most Powerful Women” list by “Forbes”.
- Lupita will next star in Simon Kinberg’s ensemble spy-thriller “The 355” (2022) as well as she is is developing a television series based on Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie’s novel “Americanah”, which she will produce and star in.
- She will produce and star in “Born a Crime” and will be reuniting with director Abe Forsythe and the creative team behind the horror-comedy film “Little Monsters” for a starring role in a science fiction comedy film.
- Nyong’o will reprise the role of Nakia in “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever”, scheduled for release in July 2022.
- She will team with Natalie Portman to produce and star in a television adaptation of Laura Lippman’s novel “Lady in the Lake” for Apple TV+.
- Nyong’o announced in February 2021 that she will produce an animated musical based on her number-one best-selling children’s book, “Sulwe” (2019), for Netflix. She will also reprise her narration role in “Serengeti” (2019).
You may also like: 2021 Ballon d’Or Final Results: Who Won The Ballon d’Or In 2021?
Awards and Achievements
- Academy Awards for her work in “12 Years a Slave”
- Emmy Awards for her work in “Bookmarks: Celebrating Black Voices: Lupita Nyong’o Reads Sulwe”
- Independent Spirit Awards for her work in “12 Years a Slave”
- Screen Actors Guild Awards for her work in “12 Years a Slave”
- BET Awards for her work in “12 Years a Slave”
- Black Reel Awards for her work in “12 Years a Slave”
- Critics’ Choice Movie Awards for her work in “12 Years a Slave”
- Fangoria Chainsaw Awards for her work in “Us”
- Theatre World Awards for her work in “Eclipsed”
You may also like: Grace Conder: Bio, Family, Net Worth, Career, & More
Did You Know? Facts About Lupita Nyong’o
- Lupita Nyong’o graduated from Hampshire College with a degree in film and theatre studies and later attended the Yale School of Drama.
- She won several awards for her work in 12 Years a Slave, including a Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role in 2013.
- She was born in Mexico and raised in Kenya.
- Lupita is the first Mexican-born actress to win an Oscar.
- She wanted to be an actress since the age of 5.
You may also like: Who is Andrew Davila? Things To Know About Andrew